This post continues a series I’ve been writing as I toy with the mdgriffith/elm-style-animation Elm package. I’ve primarily been focused on both learning how to use the animation package, but as I’ve explored, there seems to be room for leveraging a higher layer of abstraction to more rapidly compose and deploy animations. Maybe things will work out, or maybe I’ll crash and burn. Either way, it has been a fun journey so far and I’ve enjoyed talking with the Elm community and the animation package’s author, Michael!
Let’s recap what we’ve covered so far. I’ll be mainly discussing changes that I’ve made to the previous code, so you’ll want to take a look at these posts (especially the first post) before we begin.
I’ve been dabbling a bit with the mdgriffith/elm-style-animation package for Elm 0.18 and so far it looks like quite a capable library. I did encounter some headwinds with layering multiple effects on the same HTML element at different times, so I scratched out a basic framework for extending animations. I’ll walk you through the basic extensions I’ve layered on top of the standard Elm Architecture.
What’s the goal of all this? Being able to define easily reusable animations, just like CSS classes! And being able to manage the complexity that comes along with creating many different animations.
Read on for details, or just grab the code from this Github repo and run with it.
First off, my apologies for the deep silence of late. I’m pretty deep in the trenches when my Master’s semesters are running and I simply had to take a personal break during my summer. I’m hoping this post can help me pick up my cadence again!
I recently dove back into Elm development, only to find that the community has evolved rapidly between versions 0.16 and 0.18 (current as of this writing). I thought I’d share my notes on how I have my new development environment set up, now that we have more options beyond simple text editors (or vim).
Apologies for the extreme silence on my blog lately. I’ve started a Master’s degree program through Georgia Tech’s OMSCS program and it’s proving to be a challenging and time-consuming course of study.
From browsing around, it looks like the issue might be that the Elm compiler needs to set a LANG property in the Haskell code that runs the compiler to better specify encodings. Whether it’s relevant or not to the default encoding that failed here, I’m based in the US.
While the bug is still open, read on for a work-around, if you encounter the same issue.
Hey, let’s draw some triangles! If you’ve been following my last two posts on mouse chasing and drawing rays using Elm, this post will be a simple extension. If you haven’t already read those posts, I encourage you to start from the beginning, because we’ll be making iterative updates to practice getting our hands dirty with Elm.
Once again, this is targeted at newcomers to Elm, so we won’t be covering any advanced topics. If you want to see a quick demo, follow this link and start clicking around!